In college, I would invite my friends over and make them a mocha using my Moka Pot and hot chocolate. We had a lot of fun using this basic tool! - Jennifer
How to brew espresso with a Moka Pot:
- Fill the bottom reservoir of a Moka Pot (pictured to the left), keeping the water below the pressure release valve.
- Place the funnel piece into the opening of the reservoir.
- Fill the top part of the funnel with finely ground espresso beans.
Lightly pack the coffee when filled.
- Screw the top portion of the pot onto the bottom.
- Place the pot on the stove-top and turn up the heat to high.
- In a few moments, the water and steam will force its way up through the coffee into the top portion of the pot.
- Once the espresso stops flowing into the top portion, remove from heat.
- Pour into your favorite espresso cup and enjoy. If desired, top with steamed and/or frothed milk.
How to froth milk at home:
With a sauce pan:
- Fill a medium-sized sauce pan with cold (whole, 2% or skim) milk, about 1/4 to 1/3 full. Make sure to leave room for the foam.
- Put the pot on a burner, with low heat. If using an electric stove, heat the element before putting the pot on.
- Start whisking the milk. Whisk faster as the milk heats up, but do NOT let it boil. That will change the flavour of the milk.
- Once you have enough foam, leave on burner until desired temperature is reached.
- Add to your favorite coffee drinks, and enjoy.
- Fill the pitcher with cold (whole, 2% or skim) milk, about 1/4 to 1/3 full
- Set on a burner, with medium heat.
- Begin to froth the milk by pulling the wand to the frothing sieve up and down.
- Once enough froth has been created, leave on the burner until the milk is heated to the desired temperature.